Friday, September 23, 2011

Experiment with baked donuts...

So it wasn't a fail... but not a success either. However, as always, I used the recipe on the tins for the first try. I did substitute some whole wheat flour in, but I don't think that was the whole problem. They were just... not great. Not bad, but definitely not great.

I would really like to make a good baked, yeast-less donut. Yes, I know it will be more dense. But in the morning who has time for yeast donuts?! (I am open to the possibility that a good yeast-less baked donut can't exist, but I'm going to work on it awhile before admitting the error of my ways.)  And I'm definitely not frying them. I live 2 miles from Krispy Kreme - if I have to fry them, I might as well go there!

Problems with these donuts were:

*  Not enough flavor oomph. (Yes, that's a technical term...) The whole wheat flour might have overpowered the nutmeg and cinnamon, but I also brushed on some melted butter and dipped in cinnamon sugar, so there was a definite surfeit of flavors here.

* Not enough fat in the donut. The recipe only called for 1 tbsp of fat - I used butter, although it called for shortening. While I love good lower fat foods, recipes do need some for flavor and that certain delicious texture that butter (especially) gives. So more fat! (Yay!)

* Less whole wheat. I did the typical 1/2 and 1/2 substitution, but it didn't work. I want to get some whole grains in there... but 1/2 of the total flour is too much. It made for a bit of a strange texture, I think.

I will keep trying, although it may go the way of the strawberry muffins... Now THAT was an epic fail. (Many thanks to my poor husband who kept trying them!)

No comments: