Sunday, October 2, 2011

Sweet Potato Cinnamon Chip Bread

Fall has arrived, and as always, it's accompanied by an overwhelming need to bake. I don't bake much in general, not because I don't like to or don't like baked goods, but because I have a hard time getting over all the butter, oil, sugar, cream and other deliciousness (did I mention butter?). But sometimes you've just gotta do it, and early October is that time. (Maybe if I only clog my arteries one month a year, it won't count...)

So today I decided to make Sweet Potato Cinnamon Chip Bread. Now, I have a serious love of cinnamon... both to eat and to smell. And while I can't stand sweet potatoes on a plate, in a baked delight they are, well, delightful. So here's the recipe:


4 eggs
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups canned organic sweet potato
1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
          3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce

3 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 1/2 cups cinnamon chips

Directions

Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
Whisk the eggs, sugar, pumpkin, and oil in a large bowl until thoroughly blended.
Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, salt, and nutmeg into the pumpkin mixture.  
Fold in the cinnamon chips.
Divide the batter between 2 greased 8 x 4 x 2 inch pans.
Bake for 80 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. (takes a long time - I finally put them on convection at 325, but it took at least 95 min total!)
 Here's what they looked like when they came out of the oven
Cool on a rack for at least 10 minutes before removing from pan.
Cool completely before slicing.
 This is a good idea if your family is like mine and can't wait for things to cool...
Enjoy!!!

Update - Just had a piece as a post dinner treat, and it is DE-licious! Moist. Spicy. Cinnamony. Crispy cinnamon chips on the edges... Wow.

No comments: