Monday, August 29, 2011

Adventures in jet lag...

After traveling for 32 hours on Thur/Fri, jumping 7 time zones, and being awake 46+ hours, it's probably not hugely shocking that I am still feeling jet lagged. I have adjusted quickly to what time of day it is (except that I keep waking up at 4am, and then 5:30am, which is really not cool), but I am still tired. Not hallucinating, unsafe to drive, ready to sleep in the frozen food section tired, but still. Tired.

My friend Mr. Bob is here, doing some work on our tornado-ravaged other house. We always have great philosophical and spiritual discussions, so it's a treat to have him around awhile. My Wonderful Husband is at the coast doing post-hurricane things amidst the widespread power outage. I've been doing a lot of texting with my Lovely Daughter today - it's much more fun when it's not 50 cents a text, like it is in Uganda. And the Boy Child had a good post-pneumonia check up today, hallelujah! (If you've never had a child in an African hospital for 4 days... I don't recommend it very highly, although to be fair, he got better and they were very nice.) Here's a picture of his hospital room:


So Ugandan Slaw is on the menu for tonight, and the stuff is addictive. I'm not sure why, but it's an almost unanimous opinion, so I will share it with you:

4 cups shredded cabbage (shred it yourself - it's crisper and cheaper!)
3 large carrots, peeled, cut into 3 sections, and sliced into thin wide ribbons
1/2 of a small red onion, sliced thin
3-4 tbsp sunflower oil
4-5 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp kosher salt (or to taste)
fresh ground pepper

Mix all the ingredients at least 1 hour before you need it. Stir occasionally. Adjust salt and pepper if needed.



No comments: